Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What do you know at your current stage of life that you wish you knew earlier?

What do you know at your current stage of life that you wish you knew earlier?
Asked by JP Stein 27 days ago in Small Business, Organizational Development Closed
Your public answer:
“Dear JP, I wish I new sooner that the process of knowing is less important than the process of believing. This is so first because credibility is the first issue of evaluating evidence and reasons that are offered in human communication. Second, because in making a decision, what we believe counts more than what we know. Once I got this, I understood not only where the starting point is, but why trust is so important and significant. We entrust our very selves to others who are credible enough to see our blind spots, of which I have many. John”

1 comment:

Christopher said...

What a terrific question! And it begs another question: what is knowing? Is it simply a set of instructions that if followed will lead to a desired outcome? Is it the ability to implement useful procedures? Or, is this more the knowledge of what is to be attended to. What do we ignore? What do we value? Our attention is selective. What we attend to becomes a culturally or environmentally conditioned response.

I'm in my late 50's. For the last several years, I've been going through a tremendous creative personal growth spurt. I wish I would have known more about somatic education (formative psychology) as a young person. I would have liked to understand much earlier what it is to live in the body. Sadly, our culture ignores the body. We educate the head. We can articulate abstract concepts but we generally do a poor job of understanding how to achieve personal satisfaction through development of a personal world.

Ashley Montague once said: the mark of an educated man is one who has overcome the limitations of the educational system. One can nod in agreement without really knowing what this meant. Montague was teaching physicians and lamented the narrowness of what was passed off as education.

I would have liked to have had more self-understanding earlier. This would have allowed me to recognize and understand other people better.