Thursday, March 6, 2008

Knowledge is power. Information is gold. Giving away either of them too soon is just plain stupid. Why?

The question was asked first on LinkedIn where other answers can be found. My answer was:

“Dear Steven,


Do I hold back a little that I know?

I work with my friends starting at their level, not mine.

Over time I find the best results occur when nothing is held back, but rather brought out and examined in the context of an ongoing friendship.

As a result, my clients learn over time that, while knowledge is power, shared knowledge is more powerful.

Similarly they learn that while information is gold, it is fool's gold. Knowing what to do with information is the real gold. They also come to see that giving away knowledge or information too soon is just plain stupid.

Why? Because of the timing.

But so too is selling knowledge or information for the same reason.

Timing is everything in education. Educating someone about what to do with both information and knowledge is just plain wise.

And wisdom is priceless.

What is the best form of compensation you can give someone when that person has given you something priceless?

I don't know the answer but I believe I can apprehend what to do next.

Do you want to learn more about the difference?

Please let me know."

What do you think?

Please include your comment here or contact me to discuss.

Thanks.

John Darrouzet

No comments: