Saturday, March 1, 2008

Role of Spirituality in your Professional Success?

The question was asked first on LinkedIn where other answers can be found. My answer was:

“Important question.


I prefer being professionally happy as a person than becoming professionally successful in a role. Professional happiness comes when I make my way to a decision’s end knowing, especially on a spiritual level at stage 9 of these 12 stages:

1. Where I come from

2. Where I want to go

3. What I am waiting for

4. What my wise ones advise

5. What pros and cons I weigh

6. What the “Powers That Be” insist upon

7. What my own agenda reveals about me

8. What facts and reasons I contend with

9. What insights answer my prayers

10. How I tell my story

11. What losses I risk to gain what I still only hope for

12. Why the decision I discern is the right one for me.

Professional success seems to exist for me on a horizontal plane, while professional happiness takes me vertical. It seems to me you may be successful in a lot of roles by a lot of standards, especially money in our society.

Happiness seems to have a broader range than success. Happiness for me is not simply a choice or a judgment, but rather is a decision, the story of which we live out over and over.

As a result of this approach, not only going into a place of worship, but worshipping in such a holy place, not only reciting a prayer, but speaking to God through prayers, and not only remembering God, but communing with God in the hope that His remembering each of us will re-integrate us --- all of this helps us acheive happiness, whether we are successful by secular, professional standards or not.”


What do you think?

Please include your comment here or contact me to discuss.

Thanks.
John Darrouzet

No comments: