Saturday, March 1, 2008

What process do you use in decision making?

The question was asked first on LinkedIn where other answers can be found. My answer was:

“As our mutual friend, Sherri, told you, I have been working with this question for some time now on LinkedIn with other members.


The "method in my madness" about decision-making is succinctly stated as follows:

When I know:

1. Where I'm coming from;

2. What my issue wants me to decide;

3. What I am waiting for;

4. What my wise ones generally advise;

5. What the pros and cons of the issue are;

6. What the "Powers That Be" are saying;

7. What the agendas are, including my own;

8. What facts and reasons I am contending with;

9. What my insights and oversights are about the issue;

10. What story tells my decision best;

11. What I am willing to risk to gain what I can only hope for;

12. What tell-tale enthusiasm emerges when I am ready to announce my decision,

then I know the decision is the right one.

While all stages of the process are critically important, without 9-12, the process I am engaged in is really only a form of judgment making. Likewise, without 8- 12, the process I am engaged in is really only a form of choice making. Judgments are more often made by those who rein in their emotions and wills by way of reason. Choices are more often made by those who rein in their reasons and wills by way of emotion. Decisions are more often made by those who rein in their reasons and emotions by way of will.

As a result, decision-making is a process of informing the will of insights and oversights that are best told in the form of stories, especially in the order set forth above.

We have been discussing a wide variety of related questions about decision-making over the past several months. Pay particular attention to "What is your favorite movie and why?" In that discussion, I lay out movies that I use to help others see more readily the process I'm advocating. In the speeches I have written for nationally-sought after speakers, we follow this approach with great success. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. John”

What do you think?

Please include your comment here or contact me to discuss.

Thanks.

John Darrouzet

No comments: