Saturday, March 1, 2008

What are the sources of disruption to your ideal plans and how do you minimize their impact?

The question was asked first on LinkedIn where other answers can be found. My answer was:

“Most people see the real as a compromise between material and ideal views of things: material-ideal-real. I see it in a different order: material-ideal-real.


Reality is the main source of disruption to the ideal.

To minimize the impact, I make sure my material data is coming at me on a real-time basis. I pivot, like a basketball player, on the pre-conceived ideal plan but take my shots based on the real situation I am presently confronting.

Put another way, When I'm driving from point A to point B, I pay attention to the material data my car and surroundings provide me and change my course based on the real circumstances presenting themselves. My pre-conceived ideal plan yields to reality at every blocked intersection.”

What do you think?

Please include your comment here or contact me to discuss.

Thanks.

John Darrouzet

No comments: